Hi everyone, I've had these GZG UNSC-L and the AW light grav tank for a while now and I wanted to be able to field them on the table top. I figured I'd see how many I could get done in one night.
While not the highest quality, I'm really happy with how they turned out.
I have painted:
2x 8-man squads with 2 SAWs
2x 2-man heavy sniper rifles
1x Command squad (4)
1x Light grav tank
This would probably be between 100 and 150 points in gruntz, depending on how you costed them out. It'd make a great recon or patrol platoon.
|Light grav tank and squad advance through the grasslands.|
1) Glue figures to bases. I use US pennies.
2) Clean all flash and mould lines. I use a file and x-acto knife.
3) Glue sand to bases. I like to use superglue because it's quick and I have a lot of control via the nozzle. I usually leave a small bit clear around the figures feet to avoid covering them.
4) Prime. I used a light grey color.
5) Paint bases khaki color. I used graveyard earth. I then dry-brushed with bleached bone.
6) Paint gun and visor black.
7) Touch up any areas that got black on them by mistake with a color as close to the base color as possible.
8) Wash. I used army painter strong tone and heavily covered the whole figure. This is similar to the "dip technique" but with more control.
9) When completely dry, matte varnish. Normally I use paint on varnish, but because I had a whole group I sprayed them.
10) Brush on gloss coat on the right shoulder pad and visor. I applied it to the shoulder pad so I could apply the decal and it would stay better.
11) Apply decal to shoulder pad. I use a brush and x-acto knife for this.
12) Apply Micro-sol setting solution to decal. This helps to adhere to the model and give it a more painted-on look.
13) Apply matte varnish to the shoulder pad. I painted it on since it was such a small area and I didn't want to dull down the visor.
14) For the first time I used the little tufts for the grass. I really like it. They have adhesive on them, but I put a dab of super glue where I wanted them to go, just in case. I used the 6mm Army Painter wasteland tufts.
|Front of the grav tank. Decals are from a model RR sheet.|
|Back of the grav tank. I completed this in almost the same way as the infantry.|
|The two heavy sniper teams. The guns had a bit of flash I had a hard time of removing under the barrel. Grass tufts to the rescue!|
|Size comparison and a change to see what the bases look like.|
Hope you've enjoyed this and please let me know if you have any questions!