Sunday 28 March 2010

Barking Irons - No.1

.
I bought one of the flashy wargames mags on Friday and it's still in my work bag unread. This is in no small part due to finding a gratis copy of 15mm.co.uk/Alternative Armies new wargames magazine Barking Irons on my doormat when I got home. Thanks Gavin!

Excluding covers There's 28 B/W A4 pages filled with a mix of features, adventures (scenarios) and game articles all based around 15mm.co.uk/Alternative Armies' products. Additionally, t.The inside back cover has colour photos relating to the final article. Now let me say, I've never been interested in Flintloque or Firefight:Iron Age but I've read Barking Irons from cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed all of the contents.

The magazine has quite high production values, is illustrated throughout and has the feel of a professionally produced society magazine - with a certain charm for that.

I found a lot within it to tuck away for a rainy day - probably more than 2-3 old style glossy wargames mags - especially the article of designing and building a 'Catalucian' windmill. I've always wanted to build one of these for my Spanish Civil War table, and now I can!

Rounding it up I'd say Barking Irons is a fun read, reminding me of the very best of Wargamers' Newsletter and despite being aligned to the parent wargames company, this is more about the practical hobby.

Give it a try you might be surprised!

Cheers
Mark
.

4 comments:

  1. Is it available in PDF format by any chance ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at present Piotr but I think it should be.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mark. That would be really great ! Its a lot easier ordering and reading PDFs. I hope more publishers sell magazines in electronic format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they might do that once the printed version sells out.
    Which is going to be soon by the look of it.

    It's a nice publication, professional, but not quite there. My girlfriend studies Illustration at Uni, which involves magazines as well and questioned some areas of the layout. Apart from that, the content is all there, the interesting articles you will go back to and use are there (hobby and gaming wise) and it features a suitably varied content.
    Honestly, pick it up, give your eyes a break from the computer and sit down with a cuppa cha and enjoy barking irons!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete