Monday 9 January 2012

1,000

Tonight, the Dropship logs it's 1,000th flight since I first kicked the tyres, lit the burners and launched off into 15mm space 3 years ago, on 12th January 2009. So the lads very kindly asked me if I wanted to take another spin in the cockpit and enjoy this moment.

Rather than turn this milestone into an excuse for an orgy of congratulatory self-indulgence, I think you'll agree, there's no more fitting tribute to mark Dropship Horizon's 1000th post than to reveal two new 15mm Sci Fi vehicles we can look forward to in the early part of 2012.

I was blown away when Jon at Khurasan showed me the renders for these vehicles. I was transported back thirty years to the fun of my first 15mm Sci Fi games. Playing through the classic Traveller adventures of  Twilight's Peak and Double Adventure 2: Mission on Mithril/Across the Bright Face. These are not just any Sci Fi vehicles but THE ATVs I had in my mind's eye and now they had been brought to life! Then to cap it all, Jon gave me the honour of not only exclusively revealing but also naming these beauties.

So! Ladies, Gentlemen and Tentacley Things, 
let me introduce you to......


The Horizon Explorer A.T.TR.
(All Terrain Tractor)

I chose to call this model the Horizon Explorer because it just seemed to embody what Dropship Horizon is all about - exploring the innumerable worlds of the15mm Sci Fi gaming universe. But of course if you really must go prepared for anything and armed to the teeth....

The IGUANA A.T.M.P.C.
(All Terrain Military Personnel Carrier)

We'll touch on these models  in more detail with further pics over the week to come.
What started as a way for me to document my own 15mm Sci Fi gaming out loud, the challenges, the ideas rattling round my head, the failed attempts and the successes, morphed into a resource for the 15mm Sci Fi community. A resource that I've been able to turn to myself over the past months and see my passion with fresh eyes.

And it's from that perspective I want to post my thanks to the crew, all top notch guys, who bravely stepped forward to take over the helm. They've supported me through my illness and recovery, done a bloody good job with the blog to boot, and I'm sure will continue to do so going forward!

But, above all, I, we want to thank each and every one of you fellow 15mm Droptroopers who hitches a ride and shares your time with us.  Here's to the next 1,000!

Cheers! Salute! Slainte!
Mark

24 comments:

  1. Congrats! Those rovers look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many congrats, Mark. As a newcomer to 15mm Scifi, I have found Dropship Horizon to be a great source of inspiration and enjoyment, looking back thru'older blogs. Glad you are well, and here's to the next 1000 indeed. The Khurasan rovers look brilliant-I can hear my credit card groaning in anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversay Mark, and oh my goodness these vehicles are jaw dropping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *throws Mk3 Tac helmet into the air in celebration !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent way to ring in the next 1000!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! And those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys! The Iguana also comes with a BFO turret with twin cannon configuration. More about that later in the week.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic looking Rovers. I'd buy at least a pair of each.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just got my first 15mm sci-fi figs about a month ago. Never would have done it but for your site making it look so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with thne above, the Rovers do look something special. Definitely caught my eye. Here's to the 1000. Slainte!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 1k to the Dropship Horizon, its Captain and its crew!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on 1k, considering the content really look forward to post 1500 ;)

    Dropship was key to introducing me to the 15mm genre and all associated with it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Vac-head crowd will absolutely love these! These will look fantastic exploring lunar or red planet terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too paraphrase a wizened space wizard, "These are the vehicles I'm looking for".

    Like Mark, I have had dreams about these sorts of vehicles. Though I do cringe a bit when it comes to though of trying to build one in miniature, I'm sure Jon will come up with a simple and stable way for it to all go together.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooo i just wet my pants at the sight of those all terrain vehicles...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just recently watched ALIENS: The Director's Cut (for the 1000th time) and was thinking I wish someone would make the "mom and pop" rover- wishes do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on posts to 10 to the 3rd power! I just linked to your blog for the first time from Khurasan Miniatures blog. I will sure check out more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great work, keep them coming, and yet another masterpiece from Khurasan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on making it this far you've all done a really fantastic job and turned this into the most useful 15mm scifi resource that there is on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats to Mark and crew on the Kilopost achievement!

    Best,
    JBR

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the ongoing popularity of the ol' Dropship! Mark, it's great to see you up and around and posting again!

    As for Jon's new vehicle: WOW. That's an awesome beast! Just the thing for survey teams, prospectors, archaeologists and the grunts that guard 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Mark and all from the team!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great work and a great blog, BIG CONGRATS on reaching 1,000 posts.

    ReplyDelete