Saturday 19 February 2011

Catching Up

.
I've been dipping into WIRED FOR WAR by PW Singer. Good book about the digitisation of combat in the C21st. Lot's of food for thought and very apt for Tomorrow's War.

MINDSTAR RISING by Peter F Hamilton has arrived in the post and made it to my book pile. But not much further.

Master Chef  has pre-ordered his own hardback copy of Force on Force from Amazon, and made use of Critical Mass Games' sale to order half a dozen buildings. I'll be placing my own order this weekend to extend downtown Mudd Eisley.

Great thing is, I've found Critical Mass Games range of buildings to be suitable for 20mm Near Future/Sci Fi too. I'm quietly impressed by the range of dynamic yet still human poses created by Matt at Elheim. His recent releases span the gap from Moderns to Near Future or even mid-tech Sci Fi Troopers and easily transpose from Force on Force to Tomorrows War.



 The three figures from the left of the new SF Team pictures below, also make good post apocalyptic survivors and the two in the centre are dripping with PA character.


I'm not interested in Afghanistan at all, but both Maff and I see gaming parallels with Jerry Pournelle's epic FUTURE HISTORY. Talking of Pournelle, searching for a post apocalyptic background, I found it in LUCIFER'S  HAMMER, which can be melded with Twighlight 2000 and played with both Force on Force and Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat. Of course I want to add a Zombie twist. But I wonder whether starving crazed, cannablistic humans will be just as effective and somehat more horrifying.

Cheers
Mark
.

5 comments:

  1. Lucifer's Hammer and Footfall are both good Niven/Pournelle works that show our (humanity's) strengths, weaknesses, and proclivities after a devastating event.

    Great subject material for inspiration. I've been a Niven/Pournelle fan since my youth.

    Best,
    JBR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting those new Elhiem figures they look awesome! Going to be getting some shortly for my SIT games. Their zombies are good as well.

    All the best,

    Ian

    check out my blog: http://steelcitywargaming.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Future History remains possibly my favourite military Sci Fi book, ever since I read it as a teenager. Perhaps because it's about men, not about hardware.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian,

    Good blog. I bought these Elheim Zombies back in October.

    http://www.elhiemfigures.com/prod_desc_TDSC13.html?sno=298

    They are superb. Look like a typical Friday night at the Market Street taxi rank in Aberdeen.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm half way through re-reading Mindstar Rising at the moment - as I live in East Anglia, I know the area quiet well, but was a fantastic read even the first time before I moved! The whole Greg Mandel series is excellent, lots of ideas for near-future tech gubbins to add to buildings etc - as is the case with all Peter F Hamilton books.

    ReplyDelete