Saturday 26 February 2011

Time for structure

Master Chef here. Marines, take a knee...

I've been looking in detail at just what SF stuff I have and have decided that its going to be structured:
  1. 28mm - in the loft
  2. 20mm - based individually for Tomorrow War, bit heretical mentioning 20mm on a 15mm blog but well, thats life.
  3. 15mm - based as squads for Alien Squad Leader 
But there are also 15mm figures based individually....these are the problem. I have bought as the whim took me and frankly, its a bit of a mess. They have guns AND the numbers! I dont want to duplicate TW in 15mm and I'm not sure if I want go back to Laserburn; I like AE Bounty and I am going to use MDRG from Ganesha Games but I want something else - very fast play "shoot em up" rules and much as I like USEME, it's the wound tracking that puts me off. I like the idea of Traveller but the numbers won't allow it. The logical idea is that if I do a game with 3-4 a side, use Traveller or MDRG but if I want to field 16 British Drop Marines vs a shedload of pirates, the stats will sink the game. I have some rough ideas - watch this space.....

Cheers
Master Chef
.

8 comments:

  1. You could always try Rogue Trader! Perfect for some drop marines taking on pirates or whatever other random adventures come to your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15MM RPG is the true path to all happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might I suggest you take a gander at FUBAR by Craig Cartmell? One page modern and sci-fi rules:

    http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/

    Yahoo group:

    http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/forgeofwar/

    Simple yet elegant rules. They fulfil all my needs when it comes to this sort of fast-play game. I love 'em!

    Cheers,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beamstrike (a re-implementation of Imperial Commander) would work well enough for what you want. It is designed with 20+ figures per side in mind. Alternatively, you could use Imperial Commander of you have that from your Laserburn days. I still enjoy both IC and Laserburn. Another option would be 5150 from THW, which would handle a platoon a side well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THW rules, or Fubar in my opinion..

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Master Chef is a rules junkie. Always looking for the perfect 'fix'. I can't keep his mind on one set of rules long enough......

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Gents; one side of A4 will do the trick. If I as much as look as Laserburn I'll be back in the very early 80s and there's a lot of that going on on Winter of 79.....

    ReplyDelete