Wednesday 11 November 2009

Life Work The Universe......Gaming Bodyswerve

.
We live in the shadow of the foothills of the Grampian Mountains. It's a land of Roman Forts and Pictish Circles - but mostly it is a land of old history beyond recorded time.


And on early winter nights you can see the breath of the Fire Dragon spreading across the valley floor as he settles down to sleep. This Valley of the Fire Dragon is the setting for my semi-historical based Fantasy gaming using Age of Might and Steel from 15mm.co.uk.


I guess my Fantasy inspiration is Conan, Gor, Islandic Sagas and 13th Warrior more than Middle-Earth and Clawhammer. So my first two protagonists are Dark Ages rather than High Fantasy.

Master Chef put me onto Age of Might and Steel, with intention of recreating a Conan based Hyboria. What sold the rules was the claim - "For busy gamers who enjoy a rewardingly simple game that encourages tactics". Sounds great and I can start with these two armies based on my favourite 15mm Dark Age miniatures:

The Crow Lords

They live in the high perches on the highest of the hills and see themselves as the natural rulers of all they survey. The Crow Lords are carrion first and foremost and enjoy feasting on the aftermath of the battle.

Think half-crow men - Early Saxon & Vikinges with crow feather mantles, Griffons (as Crow warriors), giant Eagles and 25mm 'giant' crows, Shamans.

The Wolf Kings

They have roamed free to hunt across across the land since time became time. The valley is THEIR hunting ground and they will fight to the death to keep it for themselves.

Arthurian & Romano-British - Wolftail Warriors, Werewolves, human wolf riders, wolf Packs, Ulfhednars, Wizards.

I think AoMaS will compliment Alien Squad Leader as a mid-week fun game and help me blanket out work just now.

Cheers
Mark
.

4 comments:

  1. Do you already have the figures / armies ready Mark, or is it something your planning ?
    Cheers
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oppssss, forgot to say, nice photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo!

    How does AoMaS compare to HotT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments on the photo.

    It's a mix Ian - bits of this and bits of that I already own topped by the minis I want to have in my collection but can't be arsed building into whole armies.

    I'm waiting for my copy of AoMas to arrive mrbistro and will let you know what it's like.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete