Thursday 6 January 2011

2010 In Review


It's very difficult to write a review of a year objectively and more importantly, honestly whilst trying to ensure everyone get's a fair crack at the whip. So, I won't.

2010 was for me, and I know the Master Chef shares these sentiments, a year of the good, the bad and the ugly.

If I have to pick one company that I feel stood above the rest as the powerhouse of 15mm Sci Fi gaming, it has to be Critical Mass Games. At a glance they brought out:
5x   ARC Fleet AFV types plus variants
17x ARC Fleet Buildings/Structures
3x   Protolene AFV types with multiple variants
17x packs of Kaamados Dominion Infantry
3x   Kaamados Dominion AFV types with multiple variants
2x   packs of The Praesentia
4x   packs of Arc Fleet Infantry
Not simply a pack here or there. The Kaamados Dominion alone have what, 4 different troop types, 77 different miniatures! And of course we can't forget the Mercenaries. The Mercs have proved to be a constant delight, ensuring 15mm Sci Fi character gaming is here to stay.

Not everything was to my taste. It doesn't have to be. But everything was well designed, well cast and cleaned at the workshop before it went out or binned if it didn't pass muster.

2011 will be a year of tightening belts. Less jobs, less money to go round. Critical Mass Games brought their casting in house to have greater control over the costs that are passed onto us. It will also ensure the consistency of production quality. Craig and Dale are prepared to put their money where their mouth is, so that we know in advance that each range will be supported by a good number of unique troop types, vehicles and accessories where appropriate.

15mm Sci Fi Praesentia 
Hyperion War Drone

Looking ahead to 2011. I see Kaamados buildings and structures, the RAL robotic infantry, Praesentia drones and much, much more. Above all, I see more of the same. That is, a company that continues to demonstrate a love for the hobby, faith in it's own products, and exhibit a genuine respect borne of professionalism for their fellow gamers and customers.

Critical Mass Games, 2010 was your year. Here's to 2011!

Cheers
Mark

8 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the sentiment. Excellent range and a sterling team putting in a lot of energy into the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. However, I must take exception to their insistence of putting a 'u' in armor. It's unamerican, I tell ya.

    ;)

    Best,
    JBR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what they have done, even though at times it seems they are doing a bit of "stuffing" when it comes to poses, but that's not unusual for a miniatures company working in large numbers of 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CMG ARC Fleet light recons and Mark's blog are the two main reasons I started collecting 15mm so you'll understand I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2010 a watershed year, I made my break from 28mm (cough*games-workshop*cough)and jumped into 15mm SF in a big way.
    All courtesy of this blog and the top folks from Ambush alley and the great figures from CMG.

    On a different note.
    What ever happened to the Predator competition from back in November?
    I entered and had my e-mail address attached but never heard anything more?


    Cheers

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys!

    Jerry, what can I say - snow here, there and everywhere - being told job will finally be outsourced and offshored then Christmas distracted me. Will sort it out this weekend.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Mark, more a matter of curiosity than anything else. You seem to have alot on your plate so don't go to any extra trouble on my account.

    Cheers

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry Jerry. Am juggling a lot of balls at the moment and I need a nudge sometimes.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete