Sunday 11 October 2009

New Khurasan Miniatures Tracked APC

.
Coming SOON from Khurasan Miniatures is this new15mm Tracked Flatbed 'Pickup'/'Technical' which has dozens of applications as a military or civilian transport. I was going to paint this one this morning for Ice Station Zorba, but I thought I'd better photograph it for you before I massacre it :-)

Khurasan Miniatures 15mm Sci Fi
Tracked Flatbed APC
(shown here with new GZG Seated NAC )

The vehicle was designed to accompany Khurasan's forthcoming range of 'Insurgents'. The kit comprises three parts - hull and two sets of tracks. The sort of 'kit' I love. The model is very well moulded and full of crisp detail, it's not just a box on tracks. No air bubbles and certainly no flash or mould lines to speak of on my example. Ready to wash, glue and paint with no further ado.

Dimensions are just short of 6cm long and 2.5cm wide. It's another John Bear Ross, rapid prototyping masterpiece.


As soon as I saw the model, I knew it was ideal for Ice Station Zorba. It is an extremely versatile design which has potential for use as a military APC or civilian ATV to be found in any number of frontier colonies, research stations and outposts.

No product code or price as yet but I'm sure Jon at Khurasan will let us know closer to the release date.

Available SOON from:


Cheers
Mark
.
(updated )

8 comments:

  1. Excellent design! Sort of a sci-fi UTE. Quite original and crisp details.

    I think that the rapid-prototyping lines need to be removed though...they look quite prominent and they may upset the painting process.

    Apart from that...AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inso that comes off of the production castings in a jiffy. It's easiest to remove from the production castings. Removing it from the print would not have been a good idea, and removing it from the metal masters would require aggressive sanding that might have damaged detail. The very HQ resin used by the caster is really the perfect material to sand. (And no, I am not just dumping the work on the customer! :) I thought this out and came to this conclusion.)

    Mark, thanks for the article! Only thing I'd point out if I may is, it's not an APC -- no armour and a pickup body! It's designed purely as a civilian vehicle for a world that requires a stronger suspension and drive train, like my game-planet, Sepulveda VII, a mining world that has cities but also many mining colonies. It'll certainly serve as a "technical" though, high speed firepower with no protection, like today's pickups.

    atb
    Khurasan Miniatures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post amended to reflect Jon's comments - but I'm going to be using these as civilian ATVs AND military APC's.

    I will back up Jon's comments on the resin. I feel the light in the photo over emphasises the rapid-prototyping lines. The only place I really notice it is on the front cab windows.

    The resin is beautiful to work - certainly the best I've ever experienced. It has a cheesy consistency which is strong without being brittle. It is very easy to carve and you only need to lightly use an emery block/board or similar to achieve a smooth finish on rapid-prototyping lines, mould seams etc

    In fact I would warn, go careful using a knife or file on your first model as you need far less force behind it than on say, an Old Crow AFV.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great piece of kit. It got gritty Sci Fi written all over it. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous; I could definitely see it in use as one of my Rifts adventurer vehicles, or even a Salvage Dog in Star Mogul. Hope it's available when I start ordering my Sarmatians from Khurasan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, It's wonderful..... I'll but at leat two.... No probably more....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful kit! As a snow cat maybe all it needs is some additional lights over the cab and maybe a plow attachment.

    I like the idea of the riders also - are those GZG NAC figures?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, you get 3 sprues each with 3 seated trooper variants. One is bareheaded and there's a separate helmet.

    ReplyDelete