Wednesday 18 December 2013

Tile Based 15mm Tunnels

By LittleBrother

From Two Brothers Tales


Okay, so you can't afford a lot of nice resin terrain, have a limited space for storage and playing...what are you going to do to get those little men onto the playing field?  Here is the first set of modular terrain I am making for gaming with my older brother this winter.  It is a set of caverns that will serve double purpose for games of FUBAR and Songs of Blades and Heroes to start with.  Here is the first tile:



The tiles are 12 x 12 and are completely modular.  They can be rotated in any direction and moved around to create different lay-outs.  I started with four tiles, total cost per tile was about $3-4 US and took about an hour to make, not including waiting for things to dry.  I spent about four hours over the course of a weekend to get them to this point:

I am working on some doors for Song, and probably some little holes for critters to crawl out of for FUBAR.  Here is a shot with a 15mm mini from Splintered Light for scale. Thanks for looking!




11 comments:

  1. These would be great for bug hunts and alien worlds! Or even retrival missions deep underground. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mr,H these generic boards would be perfect for any type of bug stomping scenario...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done sir! What material are the rocks made from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good to see other peoples terrain solutions. These can so easily be used for many different things from Alien Badlands, and burrows as have already been suggested, to dungeon craws or post apoc wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! I'll second the request for info on how they were made

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try to post a step-by-step this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plaese do that!! you made a great terrain and just what me (and I think not just me :)) would love to do for my games!!

      Delete
  7. +1 for materials and methods breakdown, sieur!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay guys, the blog has been updated with a step-by-step on how to make them and an after action report using the caverns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I produced a similar set using cork tiles and expanded polystyrene.

    http://www.minimetalmayhem.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Caverns

    I wish I'd though tof your idea of drawing in a grid at tha start instead of trying to mark in movement spaces afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Paul, your tiles look really nice! I do like the look of the polystyrene, and your pool of water is pretty cool. I will have to add some to my next set. Yeah, I would do a couple of things over again, but drawing the lines first was one of my better ideas.

    ReplyDelete